Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Indiana’s Mayberry a linebacker to fit any scheme

Just because you don’t get invited to the NFL Scouting Combine doesn’t mean you have no shot at getting draft. Indiana’s linebacker Matt Mayberry might be one of this year’s players that get drafted that didn’t go to the NFL Scouting Combine.

This past season Mayberry lead the team with 108 total tackles, was second of the team with 11 tackles for loss, also had 5.5 sacks, and 3 interceptions. He is a good overall linebacker who has good instincts, can run and chase and should could play inside in a 3-4 or outside in a 4-3 as a weak side linebacker.

“Before the Pro Day I was mainly hearing from 4-3 teams, now after the Pro Day and teams have seen my speed I have heard from a number of 3-4 teams,” said Mayberry.

Well that is because Mayberry had a great Pro Day, he checked in at 6012 and 235 pounds. He posted times of 4.45 & 4.48 in the 40 yard dash. He also ran a 4.08 in the 20-yard shuttle, a 6.84 in the 3-cone drill, with a 9'11" broad jump and a 31.5" vertical. Mayberry also had 24 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.

“I have always been a fast guy, but training at Ignition, they helped me perform like I did at the Pro Day,” said Mayberry. “A lot of people thought I was going to run in the 4.6 range and I think that I shock them with what I ran.”

Mayberry has worked out for a number of NFL teams personally including the Chicago Bears and the New England Patriots, two very different types of defenses. The Bears play a 4-3 defense with mainly Tampa-Two scheme principals, and the Patriots are a 3-4 defense that attack offense in many different ways.

With his speed and athleticism Mayberry will be able to come into the NFL and contribute right away on special teams, so things he like do.

“I think one of my biggest strengths is my focus on special teams and I played on specials every year besides my senior year, and I wanted to but the coaches just wanted me to focus on defense,” said Mayberry.

But Mayberry doesn’t think he has everything figured out and knows what he needs to do to improve his game.

“I think one of the things I need to keep working on is footwork, showing the ability to shed blockers and that is something that I can fix,” said Mayberry. “When I have talked with teams they like my speed, but they have told me I need to shed block better.”

Mayberry is a hard worker and isn’t just resting on his great Pro Day and waiting for the NFL Draft to come around he is still working hard.

“Now the biggest thing is change gears in my training going from more Pro Day training to now more conditioning and football training,” said Mayberry. “I’m still working hard and making sure I am in the best shape of my life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment