Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Baylor safety Lake a hard nose football player

Safety Jordan Lake of Baylor is one of the nicest people off the field, but when he gets on to the football field is a heat seeking missile at the safety position.

Lake as a junior was a First-team All-Big 12 selection by league coaches, and Associated Press he had 97 total tackles, 3 interceptions and 10 pass break-ups. This season had 92 total tackles and 2 tackles for loss. He knows that he has the ability to get better at the next level.

“I need to work on my man to man coverage skills, NFL defense require that, also my man free concepts, which both I didn’t really get much of a chance to do (at Baylor),” said Lake.

Lake is a hard nose football player who loves the game of football and that shows out on the field, and he knows his strengths.

“One of my biggest strengths is game intelligence, my feel for the game, I don’t get beat on play action, and I am a good tackler,” said Lake.

At Lake’s Pro Day he measured in at 6-1, 209 pounds and ran the 40 yard dash in 4.79 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.54 seconds, and the three cone drill in 7.29 seconds. He measured a 30 inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-8 inch broad jump and did 14 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.

“Pro Day is good and bad, they want to see the raw athletic ability that you have, and sometime people get drafted based on numbers,” said Lake. “People without the great workout numbers can play, and I hope to prove the ones that don’t think that wrong.”

Lake might not have had the best workout number of the all the safeties in this years draft class, but one things that NFL teams like in a safety is intelligences and Lake has that. He has had workouts already with the Atlanta Falcons and the Houston Texans so far and hopes to have more before the draft is here.

“I’m a football player, I am not a world class athlete, but I know I can play football,” said Lake.

That is what Lake is a hard nose football player both on defense and special teams and because of that will have a great shot in the NFL.

2 comments:

  1. if this guy gets a chance from any team to get on the field in pads.......he will make it, period. The young man is a pure football player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first person I think of to compare Jordan to is Bill Bates. Bates was no track star but he was intelligent and hit harder than anyone in the league. Someone needs to give Jordan a chance...they won't be sorry!

    ReplyDelete