Friday, April 9, 2010

Houston’s Brinkley always looking for an advantage

Houston cornerback Brandon Brinkley has been a starter at cornerback since his freshman season and he is one of handful of players in Houston history that competed in four bowl games during their collegiate careers and now looks to have an impact at the next level.

This season Brinkley was fifth on team with 75 tackles, including 50 solo stops, and was second with 4 interceptions, one that he returned for a touchdown. As a junior he lead the team with 15 pass breakups and ranked fifth with 74 tackles and had 4 interceptions, one that he returned for a touchdown.

Brinkley knows that going against the wide open passing attack of Houston in practice every day has help him become a better overall player for the next level.

“The NFL is turning into a passing game, and with the offense that we have here at Houston it has prepared me for that, as far as all the route combinations, plus we have small speedy quick receivers and we have the 6-3, big and physical receivers,” said Brinkley.

But just because he had success in college and faced a NFL type passing game in practice doesn’t mean he doesn’t think he can improve.

“I need to work on stay in my back petal longer, and just need to focus on doing my job and not worry about trying to do everyone else job,” said Brinkley. “I need to make sure I do my assignment and make sure my responsibility is taken care of.”

Brinkley loves to get in the film room and watch what the wide receivers that he faces are trying to do to get open and make sure that he picks up on the little things.

“I know the game of football, I try to be a step a head of the receiver, I study the little things to get an advantage,” said Brinkley.

Brinkley is a good overall athlete that has good size for a cornerback and has fluid hips, and shows good change of direction skills. He has shown that he has been a productive college player and facing the offense he has in practice every day should help him at the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment