Friday, April 9, 2010

Florida’s receiver Nelson a fast riser on draft boards

Florida wide receiver David Nelson is one of the biggest post season risers at the wide receiver position this year. He was a late addition to the Texas vs. the Nation game and came in a performed well and had a great Pro Day at Florida.

“I thought it (Texas vs. the Nation game) helped me out a lot, the scouts where impressed that even that I was a late addition that I came in ready to play and I wasn’t nervous and I just came to play football,” said Nelson. “The interaction with the scouts was great, it allowed me to show them what kind of person I am, and what type of character I have.”

At his Pro Day Nelson measured in at a height of 6-foot-5, 217 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.09 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.76 seconds. He measured a 38-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-4 1/2 broad jump and completed 16 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press.

He thought that getting one-on-one training and his preparation before the Pro Day really helped him put up the numbers he did.

“I wanted to train somewhere where it was more one on one type training. We did 5 or 6 mock Pro Days, so I knew what I was doing and also what I need to improve on,” said Nelson.

Nelson is a big receiver that at Florida played behind the likes of Percy Harvin, last year NFL rookie of the year and Riley Cooper, but showed when he had an opportunity he could make a play. As a junior he appeared in every game except Ole Miss, and his 12 receptions and 228 receiving yards were more than his two previous seasons combined, and had five touchdowns on only 12 receptions in 2008. This past season had 25 catches for 291 yards and 2 touchdowns.

One thing about Nelson is that he knows what are his strengths and what he needs to work on at the next level and plans on doing that.

“My strengths are my size, speed and quickness, I also know the game well, and I use that to my advantage,” said Nelson. “I need to be more physical, get stronger to be able to get off the jams and get a better release and I need to be more aggressive.”

Nelson will get that opportunity to improve his game at the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment