Wednesday, March 31, 2010

UTEP Moturi an under the radar receiver

UTEP wide receiver Jeff Moturi might be under the radar to some fans of college football or the NFL Draft, but the NFL scouts know all about him. Not only did he show them his skills at UTEP, and in the Texas vs. the Nation game but he also had a very good Pro Day.

At his Pro Day Moturi was 5-11 183 pounds, he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.38 seconds. He measured a 30.5 inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-10 inch broad jump and did 18 reps of 225.

“When I was at the Texas vs. the Nation game, and I was talking to scouts they didn’t understand why I wasn’t going to the combine and I didn’t either,” said Moturi. “I know I am an under the radar guy, and I have used that as motivation.”

Moturi had a very productive college career and as a junior was honorable mention All-Conference USA, he led the team with 51 receptions and rated second on the team in receiving yardage with 655 and had 9 touchdowns. This past season he had 53 catches for 974 averaging 18.4 yards per catch and 4 touchdowns.

Despite his productive college career Moturi knows he can get better.

“I need to make sure that I contrite on making the easy catches, and not worry so much on what move I am going to make next on the defender,” Moturi said. “I know I have good separation and do a good job getting in and out of my breaks, but you can always get better.”

Moturi is an explosive wide receiver that many teams look at as a guy who could play in the slot and be a good receiver making yards after the catch. Moturi has the confidence that he can play at the next level but won’t get too caught up in everything come draft day.

“Being an under the radar guy you don’t know where you are going and you can’t control that,” said Moturi. “(On the draft week), I might go bowling.”

Whatever team Moturi goes to, they will have a good receiver that will work hard to prove he belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment