Saturday, March 27, 2010

Running Back Smith wows people at Pro Day, moving up the chats

University of Kentucky RB Alfonso Smith didn’t have the college production that that he wanted to and as a senior rushed for only 245 yards and 2 touchdowns, but he got his shot at the Texas vs. the Nation game to show his ability for NFL scouts.

Then the NFL scouts showed up at his Pro Day at Kentucky and Smith wowed them with his workout and physical skills measuring in at his Pro Day with a height of 6002, 211 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.28 – 4.33 second range. He measured a 36 inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-9 broad jump. He also had 19 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.

Smith trained at Ignition in Cincinnati, Ohio to get ready for the Pro Day.

“I didn’t have the season I wanted so have a lot to prove at the Pro Day, right before the Pro Day started, I was nervous,” said Smith. “I knew I need to have a good Pro Day to have a shot.”

With his size, speed, strength and the ability to not only run outside and catch the football, but able to run between the tackles makes Smith one of the sleepers in this year NFL Draft. With NFL teams going to more of two back combinations of running backs, Smith can be a valuable assist to any NFL team he goes to.

“I think I can be a great 3rd down back, because of my speed and agility, but I need to work on my receiving ability,” said Smith. “But I am willing to do whatever a team ask me to do, play special teams, defense whatever to help my team.”

Now Smith is back in Lexington, Kentucky training and getting ready for any workouts that might come up.

“I am keeping lifting and running and ready for anything that might come up,” said Smith. “I have gotten film on myself to be able watch and see what I need to improve to become a better player.”

Smith has helped himself this post-season and has a lot of talent that some NFL team should take full advantage of.

No comments:

Post a Comment