Friday, April 9, 2010

Minnesota’s Lawrence a lighting quick linebacker

When you watch University of Minnesota linebacker Simoni Lawrence of the football field you see that he is like a flash of lighting and packs a thundering hit. Lawrence knows he has the speed to play at the next level but also knows he need to improve on wrapping up tackles and not just trying to lay them out.

“I think when I come into a camp, I can show I have got the speed to run with everyone, I am physical enough, I am a leader,” said Lawrence. “In the past I always try to make the big hit, and I have tried to hit people with out wrapping up, and sometimes that cause missed tackles. At the Texas vs. the Nation game my focus was showing the scouts that I could wrap up and I had a field day.”

Lawrence as a junior earned playing time in all 13 games with five starts and ranked fifth on the team in total tackles with 66, was second on the team in tackles for losses with 10.5, including 4 sacks. This past season he had 85 tackles total tackles, 8 tackles for loss, 2 sacks and 1 interception, and was invited to the 2010 NFL Combine.

At the NFL Combine he performed very well and decided to stand on his numbers in the vertical jump (40 inches), broad jump (10 foot – 3 inches) and his 225 bench press (21 reps) and not redo them at his Pro Day. At his Pro Day he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.56 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.25 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.80 seconds.

“The combine was fun, it is a place where athletes love to go and compete and show there ability, and I love to compete,” said Lawrence. “But I wanted to show the scouts I could run faster and did that at my Pro Day.”

Lawrence has a great attitude and is willing to whatever it takes to get on the field and makes plays in any defense, even willing to play inside in the 3-4 defense.

“I’m willing to do anything the team needs me to do, if that is playing weak side in the 4-3 or inside in the 3-4, I will make plays,” said Lawrence.

With Lawrence speed and athleticism he will make play on Sunday whatever team he goes to.

No comments:

Post a Comment